Re: Guile with win32 cross compiling

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Guile with win32 cross compiling
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 12:38:26 +0200

On Sat 26 Mar 2011 23:06, Volker Grabsch <address@hidden> writes:

> The first issue is the "#include <uniconv.h>" in gen-scmconfig,
> which has already been discussed in the past and for which I
> already provided a clean, working solution. I forward-ported
> my patch to guile-2.0.0 and it seems to work. This patch is
> attached to this email, please consider applying it.

I don't know what discussion you are referring to here; best to link.

In any case, I don't understand the mechanism here, but I believe the
point was to make it so that #include <libguile.h> would not pull in
iconv headers.  gen-scmconfig looks up the value of the constants for
iconv conversion handlers, and writes them into scmconfig.h.  Your patch
undoes that.

What problem are you working around here?

> The other open issue is also a known one: the missing mmap()
> function under Windows. After some research, I found a promising
> mmap()/munmap() implementation for Windows in a free software
> project:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/flvmeta/source/browse/trunk/src/mmap.h?r=74
> http://code.google.com/p/flvmeta/source/browse/trunk/src/mmap.c?r=74
>
> Maybe this is worth integrating into guile?

You know, not only do we not rely on MAP_SHARED -- I switched it to use
PRIVATE, just now -- we didn't actually need mmap at all.  I just
changed it to use read(2) if mmap is not available, and it seems to work
fine, just a little (5-10%) slower to start up.  That should help our
unfortunate friends working on Windows :)

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/