Re: GSoC 2011

From: Diogo F. S. Ramos
Subject: Re: GSoC 2011
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 11:31:05 -0300

>> I have my own ideas, like the Introspection branch that I forked from
>> zeenix, but I am not sure this is of the best interest for guile right
>> now.
>
> What do you want to do in this area?  There is important work to do with
> introspection, but we would need to see your ideas and your code.

You can see some of the code here:
http://gitorious.org/~diogofsr/guile-gir/didi-guile-gir

The thing is: I don't know what to do. Maybe some history will clear
things.

I've started trying to port librepository to guile from the ground up,
using just C. While doing so people at #introspection point me to the
great port of zeenix (guile-gir), as yourself.

I contacted zeenix and he was very kind to help me with it, even
commenting on my commits. It was very cool of him.

After some time, and talking to you, it was suggest that an
Introspection implementation should use (gnome gobject) and the pages
from Introspection itself says that it is a good idea to use a previous
gobject binding, as python does it. So I started playing with it.

Some more time, I thought that would be a good idea to go full power
with the dynamic ffi, so there I went.

Some more time and IRC talk, rotty introduced to me his great sbank and
after some more talk at #guile it was pointed that sbank is the
direction that guile should go for an Introspection binding.

So, as you can see, I don't have a clear vision on what has and needs to
be done or how. I would happily give it a shot, but I need some kind of
guidance.

--
Diogo F. S. Ramos