Re: How can I tell guile to shut up? ;)

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: How can I tell guile to shut up? ;)
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 13:11:16 +0200

Hi Juhani,

Sorry for the delay in the response!

On Wed 02 Mar 2011 09:22, "Juhani Viheräkoski" <address@hidden> writes:

> $ ./test-script
> ;;; note: source file /home/misty/moonshine/yarg/scripts/./race
> ;;;       newer than compiled
> /home/misty/.cache/guile/ccache/2.0-LE-4-2.0/home/misty/moonshine/yarg/scripts/test-script.go
> ;;; note: auto-compilation is enabled, set GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE=0
> ;;;       or pass the --no-auto-compile argument to disable.
> ;;; compiling /home/misty/moonshine/yarg/scripts/./test-script
> ;;; compiled
> /home/misty/.cache/guile/ccache/2.0-LE-4-2.0/home/misty/moonshine/yarg/scripts/test-script.go

> It seems there is no option to disable these annoying messages in guile
> 2.0. I do scripts using guile and I would appreciate not getting these
> messages that interfere with other output. It is possible to use
> 2>/dev/null but what would I do if my script would output error messages
> (as it will probably do at some point)?

I entirely agree that it's a problem.  By default, running a Guile
script should not cause Guile itself to print anything, to any port.

These messages are useful at times, but they were more useful last year
when compilation didn't work as well as it does now, and they could
probably be pared down a bit.

In addition there are actual compilation warnings:

   $ cat /tmp/foo.scm
   #!/opt/guile/env guile
   !#
   (+ 23 foo)
   $ /tmp/foo.scm
   ;;; note: source file /tmp/foo.scm
   ;;;       newer than compiled
/home/wingo/.cache/guile/ccache/2.0-LE-8-2.0/tmp/foo.scm.go
   ;;; note: auto-compilation is enabled, set GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE=0
   ;;;       or pass the --no-auto-compile argument to disable.
   ;;; compiling /tmp/foo.scm
   ;;; /tmp/foo.scm:3:0: warning: possibly unbound variable `foo'
   ;;; compiled /home/wingo/.cache/guile/ccache/2.0-LE-8-2.0/tmp/foo.scm.go

See that warning is useful!  And perhaps you'd want to see it, even when
you don't see some or all of the other lines.  Unlike the
autocompilation debugging, the unbound variable warning will probably go
away before you distribute your script to users, because you'll fix the
bug.

Anyway, I just mean to say that the problem is a bit complicated.

> My suggestion is to add option --quiet to guile.

Hmm.  I think prefer adding -Wfoo, for warnings, like GCC does.  It's
not getopt-long compatible, but we already have -ds.  For other
informational messages, it does seem that we need something like
--quiet, or --verbosity=..., or something.  Not quite sure what that
is.  I've copied guile-devel on this mail to see if anyone else has
opinions on this.

Thanks for the reminder!

Andy
--