Re: Modules with Circular Dependencies

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Modules with Circular Dependencies
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 22:50:21 +0100

On Fri 18 Mar 2011 22:16, Noah Lavine <address@hidden> writes:

>> The problem is that modules are resolved at compile-time, in addition to
>> run-time, so there just can’t be circular dependencies.
>
> It's true that a module couldn't depend, at compile-time, on a module
> that was only available at run-time. However, I think we could handle
> circular dependencies as long as all of the modules involved were
> available at compile-time. I would even say that this is one more
> instance of the general principle that people shouldn't have to do
> things that computers are able to do for them - in this case, you
> shouldn't have to manually order your syntax definitions and uses when
> your computer can do a graph search for you.

While I'm sympathetic to the sentiment here, the case you present (and
the PEG case; about which more tomorrow) is as Ludovic described it:
modules depending on each other at compile-time.  `define-module' and
`use-modules' resolve their interfaces both at expand-time and at
run-time.

--
http://wingolog.org/