Re: Cross-compiling Guile 2.0

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Cross-compiling Guile 2.0
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 21:42:31 +0100

On Mon 21 Mar 2011 20:58, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> At some point there will have to be a triplet → arch → endianness
> conversion.

Indeed.

>  I’d rather have that conversion occur as close to the UI as
> possible—i.e., close to ‘scripts/compile.scm’—rather than deep down in
> (system base compile) because the triplet string is really a UI notion IMO.

Actually I think it's more fundamental than that.  The compilation
process tries, generically, to find a path through the language tower
path from the source language to the target language.  There is nothing
bytecode-specific in (scripts compile), except for a couple default
target languages.

It seems to me that the value of the target-type fluid at the time that
`compile-passes' is called should be what determines the compilation
path and target-specific settings.  For example, to continue the ARM
compilation example, perhaps it would cause a different target language
to be selected.

Dunno.  All of that could just be too complicated, and maybe you are
right.

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/