Re: Cross-compiling Guile 2.0

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Cross-compiling Guile 2.0
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 20:58:57 +0100

Hello!

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun 20 Mar 2011 22:31, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

[...]

>> Thus ‘%target-type’ would be inappropriate IMO because the target could
>> be chosen at run-time and it could be anything.
>>
>> ‘guile-tools compile --target=TRIPLET’ would be fine with me.
>
> I see.  Yes that sounds fine; perhaps we could have %target-type, but
> have it be a fluid.  Does that make sense?

Yes, agreed.

At some point there will have to be a triplet → arch → endianness
conversion.  I’d rather have that conversion occur as close to the UI as
possible—i.e., close to ‘scripts/compile.scm’—rather than deep down in
(system base compile) because the triplet string is really a UI notion IMO.

Thanks,
Ludo’.