Re: Cross-compiling Guile 2.0

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Cross-compiling Guile 2.0
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2011 14:50:43 +0100

Hello!

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> It's true that a simple command-line argument and fluid could work, but
> the situation will get more complicated, so we will need some part of
> Guile to define the host and target triplets.  That's the questions I
> was really asking: where in Guile to define those?

There’s already ‘%host-type’.  However, I don’t think defining
‘%target-type’ would make sense since:

  1. Of the GNU triplet, only the $target_arch matters for bytecode;

  2. You can really choose at run-time what target you want to build
     for, by just setting the endianness fluid.

Now, if we want to produce something comparable to cross-GCC &
cross-Binutils[*], we could install, say, arm-linux-gnueabi-guile-tools
in addition to guile-tools; the former would somehow set the right
endianness for that target when running ‘arm-linux-gnueabi-guile-tools
compile’.

WDYT?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

[*] Installed cross-GCC and cross-Binutils provide binaries called
    TARGET-gcc, TARGET-ld, etc.