Re: Using libunistring for string comparisons et al

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Using libunistring for string comparisons et al
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 12:37:42 -0400

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:
> I am quite sensitive to the "justice" argument -- that we not restrict
> the names our users give to Scheme identifiers, or the characters they
> use in their strings.  But these values typically come from literals in
> C source code, which has no portable superset of ASCII.

I should also mention that the only thing needed from a C compiler in
order to accept UTF-8 string constants is to treat 0x80-0xFF like any
other non-special characters.  In other words, it takes _no_ effort on
their part to support this.  In fact, it requires effort for them to
prevent it, by explicitly checking for 0x80-0xFF and reporting an error
in that case.

     Mark