Re: O(1) accessors for UTF-8 backed strings

From: Alex Shinn
Subject: Re: O(1) accessors for UTF-8 backed strings
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 09:07:38 +0900

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 12:46 AM, Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> wrote:
> Alex Shinn <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 1:05 PM, Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> I just realized that it is possible to implement O(1) accessors for
>>> UTF-8 backed strings.
>>
>> It's possible with several approaches, but not necessarily worth it:
>>
>> http://trac.sacrideo.us/wg/wiki/StringRepresentations
>
> Alex, can you please clarify your position?  I fear that readers of your
> message might assume that you are against my proposal to store strings
> internally in UTF-8.  Having read the text that you referenced above, I
> suspect that you are in favor of using UTF-8 with O(n) string accessors.

I didn't intend to make a recommendation either way,
just point to a useful resource where people have collected
ideas and data on the topic so you could make an informed
decision.

You are correct that I personally prefer simple UTF-8 with O(n)
string accessors, which is why the Unicode support I added
for Chicken does this, as does my own chibi-scheme.  But
the best string representation depends on your use cases.

--
Alex