Re: Using libunistring for string comparisons et al

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Using libunistring for string comparisons et al
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2011 14:46:18 +0100

Hello!

Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> writes:

> I claim that any reasonable code which currently uses string-ref and
> string-set! could be more cleanly written using string ports or
> string-{fold,unfold}{,-right}.

I agree, and we should encourage this.  However...

I find Cowan’s proposal for string iteration and the R6RS editors
response interesting:

  http://www.r6rs.org/formal-comments/comment-235.txt

I also think strings should remain what they currently are, with O(1)
random access.

I think anything beyond that may require a new API, perhaps with a new
data type, which would deserve a SRFI with wider discussion.

Thanks,
Ludo’.