Re: reprise: scm_c_eval_string_from_file_line

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: reprise: scm_c_eval_string_from_file_line
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 01:35:56 -0800

Hi Andy,

On 03/09/11 12:15, Andy Wingo wrote:
>>> So, this should go under:
>>> #if GUILE_VERSION > 200000 // anything after 2.0, e.g. 2.0.1 ??
>>
>> Rather use AC_CHECK_FUNC.
>
> You'd have to check for (ice-9 eval-string) as well, added at the same
> time.

Then scm_call_5 implies (ice-9 eval-string), and vice versa.

AC_CHECK_FUNC is the correct approach for testing platform features
coming from different vendors.  It is not the right approach for
dealing with one platform (the Guile library) that has well understood
features and feature (interface) changes.  I've actually developed
an entire glue layer.  My "ag" interface layers on top of the
gh/scm/whatever and is provided by a header and a little code.
The header is enclosed for your amusement.  I don't think 30 feature
tests is appropriate.  autoconf takes long enough as it is,
hence my little "libposix" project.  To elaborate here a bit, it
basically installs fixed or missing POSIX stuff on a platform.
By testing for the existence and version (note: "VERSION") of that
library, you can safely presume all the POSIX bits are present
and working, and eliminate all the "is this POSIX feature present"
feature tests.  The bulk of my build time is autoconf feature testing.