Trouble joining with threads from C

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Trouble joining with threads from C
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 00:56:50 -0500

Apologies in advance if I'm making a mistake here, but can someone
explain to me why the minimal attached example code fails to join with
its trivial spawned thread?

I might guess that it's because spawn_thread() in threads.c calls
scm_i_pthread_detach.  So does launch_thread().  Yet the documentation
of scm_join_thread seems to indicate that you ought to be able to join
with a thread created by scm_spawn_thread.

    Thanks,
      Mark

#include <libguile.h>

static SCM
thread_main (void *data)
{
  return SCM_BOOL_F;
}

static SCM
thread_handler (void *data, SCM key, SCM args)
{
  return SCM_BOOL_F;
}

static void *
inner_main (void *data)
{
  SCM thread = scm_spawn_thread (thread_main, 0, thread_handler, 0);
  SCM timeout = scm_from_unsigned_integer (time (NULL) + 20);
  scm_join_thread_timed (thread, timeout, SCM_BOOL_T);
}

int
main (int argc, char **argv)
{