Re: proposal: scm_c_public_ref et al

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: proposal: scm_c_public_ref et al
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2011 11:24:33 -0500

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:
>     SCM scm_c_public_lookup (const char *module_name, const char *name);
>     SCM scm_c_private_lookup (const char *module_name, const char *name);
>     SCM scm_c_public_ref (const char *module_name, const char *name);
>     SCM scm_c_private_ref (const char *module_name, const char *name);
>
>     Like the above, but with locale-encoded C strings, for convenience.
>     Module names are encoded as for `scm_c_resolve_module'.

Given that the C strings passed to these functions will more often than
not be embedded in the source code, it seems to me that it's a mistake
assume that they are encoded in the current locale.  The current locale
is normally the locale of the user, which may be different from the
locale that the source code is written in.

Maybe utf8 is a better choice?

    Best,
     Mark