Re: Set debug output width in REPL

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Set debug output width in REPL
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2011 20:01:56 +0100

On Sat 05 Mar 2011 14:26, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On Mon 21 Feb 2011 07:02, Mike Gran <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> I find that the backtrace output in the REPL is too constrained
>>> my verbose code.  The attached patch would let one set the
>>>
>>> width of the backtrace and locals meta-commands.
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>
>> Applied, thanks.
>
> FWIW I still think that the default should take into account terminal
> settings, as discussed in this thread.

Sorry for the confusion.  The terminal settings are associated with an
fd, which maps more or less to a port, and I thought that you were
opposed to port-specific properties.  (Incidentally I did not think that
argument made much sense.)

Having it be a repl-specific property has the irritation of propagating
the width down to nested repls.  To me the true place of this setting
is specific to a thread, as repls are (largely) specific to threads.

So it would be equivalent to have `terminal-width' close over a fluid
instead of a lexical.

Anyway, with a week gone by and no more patches from anyone involved, I
decided to think about it myself for a bit, and ended up thinking Mike's
patch was "worse is better", but then also feeling it could be cleaner,
hence my addition.

Also, I wanted the initial settings to reflect the terminal width
without a need to call ,width.

So them's the reasons!  Let me know if you have any more concerns.  Do
try out different approaches -- it is a clarifying agent :)

Regards,

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/