What version of GMP should we require?

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: What version of GMP should we require?
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 20:33:11 -0500

Hello all,

I recently noticed that scm_i_big2dbl contains some crufty and
inefficient compatibility code to work around unspecified rounding
behavior of mpz_get_d in GMP prior to version 4.2.  GMP 4.2 was released
in March 2006 and has been in Debian since sarge (now oldstable).

How would you feel about making Guile 2.0.x require GMP 4.2 or later?
I'm hoping to fix several bugs having to do with rounding in 2.0.x, and
it would simplify things quite a bit if I could trust the rounding
behavior of mpz_get_d.

    Best,
     Mark