Re: R6RS exception printing -- take #2

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: R6RS exception printing -- take #2
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 16:08:17 +0100

Hi Andreas,

On Sun 06 Feb 2011 19:09, Andreas Rottmann <address@hidden> writes:

>   exception-printer := port key args thunk -> nothing

I ended up adopting this.  Thanks for the patch.

I reworked your patch a bit -- for example, print-exception is now in
boot-9, and used by C also.  The C bits were actually more important to
me than the R6RS exceptions, so I poked that first.

> However, I think it would be more consistent to always print source
> information if available

> If we decide to do the source-information printing inside
> `print-exception' (as proposed above), we might think about deprecating
> `display-error' in favor of `print-exception'.

Done.  I don't like display-error, let's stop using it.  I didn't
actually deprecate display-error, but it's on the list...  I guess
we need to fix the docs now.

> `display-error' cannot be implemented in terms of `print-exception', as
> the former is missing the `key' argument that the latter requires.

I just made it fabricate a "misc-error" key.  It's not lying if no one
knows, right?

Cheers,

Andy
--