Re: RFC: Arbitrary-precision floats for Guile

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: RFC: Arbitrary-precision floats for Guile
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 15:30:54 +0100

On 1 Feb 2011, at 21:37, Andy Wingo wrote:

In (* inum flonum bigflonum), with what precision would the first
multiplication be performed? Note that currently the compiler compiles
it as (* (* inum flonum) bigflownum).

An idea that comes to my mind is to set a minimum float precision, which might be IEEE 64-bit or corresponding. Then, for multiprecision floats, I think a user-friendly solution would be the output precision of an operation being a function of the operation and the precision of the values put to it based on an error analysis with a margin, as to not introduce too big round-off errors. Experts might want to have something else, but that would be less user-friendly.