Re: Relocatable installation

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Relocatable installation
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 22:49:30 +0100

Andy Wingo schreef op ma 31-01-2011 om 22:30 [+0100]:

> May I suggest then a bit more rigor in the choice of paths.

Sure.

> What paths does Guile use?

Good question.  I'm rather new to 1.9 series.

> Are they entirely taken from argv0

The only thing this reloc patch takes from argv0 is BINDIR
and we assume that no other options are given to configure
than --prefix=/some/path [ie, not --libdir=/whole/other/path].

> , or are they hard-coded at build time?

> I'm not opposed to relocatable builds, in
> principle, but if you can move Guile around, then it needs to hard-code
> no paths in it.

Well, either that or simply prepend the new, dynamically
relocated paths.  Removing all hardcoded paths when using
relocation does make sense, though.  You can't pick-up
stuff from another hardcoded install.  Hmm.

Greetings,
Jan.

Freelance IT http://JoyofSource.com | Avatar®  http://AvatarAcademy.nl