Re: Scheme Implementers

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Scheme Implementers
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 19:33:28 +0100

Hi Noah,

On Sun 30 Jan 2011 17:08, Noah Lavine <address@hidden> writes:

> My question is, what should I do to let other Scheme variants know
> this is happening and get them involved?

C.L.S, currently.  It could be that there is a need for another forum,
but I don't know.

What tends to happen is that people that want to do this consider
themselves Scheme programmers, first and foremost, and who do not
identify themselves with one Scheme system; so they release their code
on their own site, with info on using it with various systems, and send
mails to the various implementation user lists.

But it's rare for an implementer to be in this category.  People who
have the luxury of an implementation, if it's big enough, don't appear
to _need_ standardization so much, so they don't work on it.

> I could just post on a bunch of development mailing lists, but it
> seemed like it would be better to have one list that handled that
> (although maybe not).

Scheme is fairly polychromatic right now, culturally.  You might find it
useful to interact with the various lists individually, and then come
back and work on this.  Otherwise you won't really know where people are
coming from.

For example, if you are interested in cooperation with Racket, the (very
smart and experienced) Racket people will tell you their view of the
world straight-up on their mailing lists, but are probably tired of
getting into arguments with other worldviews on more general fora.
Likewise you'd need something in R6RS for R6RS schemes.  Et cetera.

I don't mean to discourage more inter-Scheme cooperation.  I like Scheme
folks and Scheme implementations.  I even like Racket :)  I just mean to
say that it's not just space, or lack thereof, that is a barrier to
cooperation, it's culture.  Successful cooperation is diplomacy, in the
best sense of the word.

Regards,

Andy
--