Re: Difference Between REPL and Script Usage?

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Difference Between REPL and Script Usage?
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 13:21:24 +0100

On Sat 29 Jan 2011 18:38, Noah Lavine <address@hidden> writes:

> ./check-guile peg.test
> ;;; note: source file /Users/noah/Desktop/guile/guile/module/ice-9/peg.scm
> ;;;       newer than compiled
> /Users/noah/Desktop/guile/guile/cache/guile/ccache/2.0-0.T-LE-8/Users/noah/Desktop/guile/guile/module/ice-9/peg.scm.go

Here, this indicates that we are interpreting peg.scm.

> ERROR: Unbound variable: safe-bind-f

So somehow under interpretation, peg.scm relies on the value of
something that isn't defined yet.

BTW: when you submit your peg.scm patches, can you rebase them on top of
wip-mlucy?  That is mlucy's changes, but rebased onto a master of a few
days ago.

> But got an error. To see what was wrong, I opened guile and did
> "(use-modules (ice-9 peg))". That worked fine.

That probably auto-compiled peg.scm, then ran it.

> noah-lavines-macbook:guile noah$ ./check-guile peg.test

And now the test suite worked, as it was using the compiled peg.scm.

I think it's one of your standard eval-when style bugs.  Unfortunately
backtraces from interpreted code are currently terrible.

Regards,

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/