Re: The “binary-friendly” Latin-1

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: The “binary-friendly” Latin-1
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 15:21:53 -0800 (PST)

An equivalent question is if you care about backward compatibility of
legacy ports.  Legacy ports returned strings and were once the only option.
I think it is a bad idea if you are replacing one non-RNRS port system
with another non-RNRS port system.  It is a less bad if you are replacing
non-RNRS ports with RNRS ports, assuming, of course that R7RS doesn't just
invent yet another port system.

>   2. The #f <=> "ISO-8859-1" equivalence for ‘port-encoding’ and
>     ‘set-port-encoding!’.  Likewise, commit
>     d9544bf012b6e343c80b76bd5761b1583cc106a3 makes ‘port-encoding’
>     always return a string and pt->encoding always be non-NULL.

Is the cost of doing the various string comparisons of port-encoding
strings negligible?  It was put in as a (premature) optimization.

> Sorry for questioning this now, but these are important questions, I
> think.

Indeed.

> Thanks,
> Ludo’.