Re: R6RS exception printing at the REPL

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: R6RS exception printing at the REPL
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 16:23:44 +0100

On Sun 24 Oct 2010 23:46, Andreas Rottmann <address@hidden> writes:

> Attached is a patch that improves the way R6RS exceptions are printed at
> the REPL

Cool! I have also found the need to define pretty-printers for various
throw keys. I wonder, could you rework this patch to add a more generic
exception-printing mechanism?

I'm going to display my ignorance in public and try to write down some
types. := is a type definition, and : declares the type of something.

  exception-printer := port args -> nothing

  set-exception-printer! : exception-printer -> nothing

  exception-printer : key -> exception-printer

  print-exception : key args port -> nothing

The default behavior could be hard-coded into print-exception. The first
two procedures (set-exception-printer!, exception-printer, and
print-exception) could go into boot-9, and the third into (system repl
error-handling), or a new module under ice-9.

What do you think?

Regards,

Andy
--