Re: who wrote the manual?

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: who wrote the manual?
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 23:01:25 +0200

On Mon 11 Oct 2010 22:16, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> And kudos to Neil, I think we owe him a great debt!

Indeed, and it's ongoing :)

Here is what I put into preface.texi. Feel free to criticize or, better
yet, fix directly :)

  Like Guile itself, the Guile reference manual is a living entity, cared
  for by many people over a long period of time.  As such, it is hard to
  identify individuals of whom to say ``yes, this person, she wrote the
  manual.''

  Still, among the many contributions, some caretakers stand out.  First
  among them is Neil Jerram, who has been working on this document for ten
  years now.  Neil's attention both to detail and to the big picture have
  made a real difference in the understanding of a generation of Guile
  hackers.

  Next we should note Marius Vollmer's effect on this document.  Marius
  maintained Guile during a period in which Guile's API was
  clarified---put to the fire, so to speak---and he had the good sense to
  effect the same change on the manual.

  Martin Grabmueller made substantial contributions throughout the manual
  in preparation for the Guile 1.6 release, including filling out a lot of
  the documentation of Scheme data types, control mechanisms and
  procedures.  In addition, he wrote the documentation for Guile's SRFI
  modules and modules associated with the Guile REPL.

  Ludovic Courtès and Andy Wingo, the Guile maintainers at the time of
  this writing (late 2010), have also made their dent in the manual,
  writing documentation for new modules and subsystems in Guile 2.0.  They
  are also responsible for ensuring that the existing text retains its
  relevance as Guile evolves.  @xref{Reporting Bugs}, for more information
  on reporting problems in this manual.

  The content for the first versions of this manual incorporated and was
  inspired by documents from Aubrey Jaffer, author of the SCM system on
  which Guile was based, and from Thomas Lord, Guile's first maintainer.
  Although most of this text has been rewritten, all of it was important,
  and some of the structure remains.

  The first versions of the first versions of Guile were written and
  edited largely by Mark Galassi and Jim Blandy.  In particular, Jim wrote
  the original tutorial on Guile's data representation and the C API for
  accessing Guile objects.

  Significant portions were also contributed by Thien-Thi Nguyen, Kevin
  Ryde, Mikael Djurfeldt, Christian Lynbech, Julian Graham, Gary Houston,
  Tim Pierce, and a few dozen more.  You, reader, are most welcome to join
  their esteemed ranks.  Visit Guile's web site at
  @uref{http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/} to find out how to get
  involved.

--
http://wingolog.org/