Re: FFI supports callbacks

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: FFI supports callbacks
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2010 17:10:34 +0200

Hi there!

> BTW, while we’re at it, how about make-foreign-function => pointer->procedure?

We briefly discussed this on IRC.  One issue with the
‘pointer->procedure’ name is that ‘->’ procedures are most of the time
one-argument procedures, whereas ‘make-foreign-function’ has 3 mandatory
arguments.

However, it occurred to me that what confuses me most about
‘make-foreign-function’ is that it actually makes a Scheme procedure out
of a foreign function.

Conversely, ‘procedure->pointer’ really makes a foreign function out of
a Scheme procedure.

In addition, I like the idea of having names that show the symmetry of
these two procedures.

So, what do you think?  :-)

(I’m also open to different names that aren’t confusing and show the
symmetry.)

Thanks,
Ludo’.