Emacs + Kawa = JEmacs

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Emacs + Kawa = JEmacs
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 00:58:33 +0200

Hello!

Not sure if it’s news to you but I recently stumbled upon Per Bothner’s
JEmacs, an Emacs implemented in Scheme (GNU Kawa) + Java + Elisp, where
Elisp has been added as a front-end to Kawa (and it can actually run
Elisp code like Towers of Hanoi unmodified, so there may be ideas to
borrow):

  http://jemacs.sourceforge.net/

See also this paper written in 2000:

  http://jemacs.sourceforge.net/JEmacs-FSM.html

Excerpts:

  “My opinion is that Guile is not the best Scheme implementation to
  use for Emacs.”

  And then: “Using an optimizing compiler that compiles to bytecode is
  certainly going to be faster than Guile or Emacs's simple interpreter
  [...] However, there are many projects and companies working very hard
  on running Java bytecodes fast. [...]  Another approach is to use a
  traditional ‘ahead-of-time’ compiler (such as the Gcc-based Gcj)”.

:-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.