Re: Changing the signature of ‘vhash-assoc’

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Changing the signature of ‘vhash-assoc’
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 01:17:48 +0200

Hello!

> I already changed my mind...  :-)

At the risk of looking silly, I changed again.

>> Indeed, if ‘vhash-assoc’ et al. are changed to return a vhash instead of
>> a pair, then we have all that’s needed to do that:
>
> [...]
>
>> Thus I’m planning to make that change.  [The ‘vhash-fold-matches’ above
>> conses at each match whereas the attached one doesn’t, but that’s OK.]
>
> Thinking more about it, I think I’d rather keep ‘vhash-assoc’ & co. as
> they are, and add ‘vhash-assoc*’ & co., which would return a vhash.

Commit 927bf5e8cc0af9515797ebab6d9ba162bef23c2a is roughly the original
patch.

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guile.git/commit/?id=927bf5e8cc0af9515797ebab6d9ba162bef23c2a

I still think that ‘vhash-assoc*’ could/should be added eventually, but
it’s only useful for programs willing to access only *some* of the
values associated with a given key, which I expect to be uncommon.

Accessing the first value associated with a key (‘vhash-assoc’) or all
the values associated with a key (the new ‘vhash-fold*’) seems more
common.

Thanks,
Ludo’.