Re: guile --version incorrectly prints GPL

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: guile --version incorrectly prints GPL
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 20:46:22 +0200

Hi Andy,

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

>     address@hidden:~/src/guile$ meta/guile --version
>     lt-guile (GNU Guile) 1.9.11.159-33df2
>     Copyright (C) 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>     License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later
> <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
>     This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
>     There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.
>
>     Written by the Guile developers.

See:

  Guile 1.8.7
  Copyright (c) 1995, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006,
2007, 2008 Free Software Foundation
  Guile may be distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public Licence;
  certain other uses are permitted as well.  For details, see the file
  `COPYING', which is included in the Guile distribution.
  There is no warranty, to the extent permitted by law.

> The license is wrong;

I don’t think so.  I think the intent was that the ‘guile’ executable
would be GPL and the rest LGPL.

> Also the "Written by the Guile developers" line at the bottom looks
> totally superfluous; would be better without the last two lines I
> think.

It’s not currently possible to remove them, see:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnulib/2009-11/msg00238.html

A patch may be accepted though, so I can eventually look into it.

> Also, what about the years?

GCC, GDB, Emacs, and all GNU software that use ‘version-etc’ (i.e., a
lot) print only the last year, so I’m not worried.  :-)

(More generally, the Gnulib maintainers wouldn’t commit such a thing
without carefully discussing the details with all the parties involved.)

Thanks,
Ludo’.