Re: Why Ice-9?

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: Why Ice-9?
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 10:07:50 +0200

() address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès)
() Sat, 10 Jul 2010 16:17:07 +0200

   ‘system’ may be more risky in that respect.  ‘guile’ would have been a
   better choice, but I’m afraid it’s too late (in theory it isn’t, but...).

   Thoughts?

Perhaps we can start discussing "directory aliases", a feature whereby
(foo bar baz) can be specified to resolve (perhaps in multiple steps)
to (actual baz).  We alias only directories, not full module names, to
avoid having to deal with ‘%load-extensions’.

Design decisions to be made:

- Module name directory part (of aliases, of fully-resolved)
  must be non-empty?

- Will dealing with ‘%load-extensions’ be in the future plans?

- Where/how to store alias info.  Can this mechanism be unified
  with one for resolved modules (e.g., Guile 1.4.x module catalogs)?

Anyway, just some thoughts.

thi