Re: Why Ice-9?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Why Ice-9?
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 16:17:07 +0200

Hello,

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> Now, there is a deeper issue here -- a global Scheme namespace is
> starting to emerge, and Guile is a bit all over the map. To me it's fine
> to have e.g. statprof have the toplevel module, (statprof), even though
> it's part of Guile; but in a way I feel that instead of having ice-9 and
> system, we should just have (guile) as our module prefix, in the same
> way that e.g. ikarus and chez scheme have (ikarus ...) and (chezscheme
> ...), respectively.

OTOH, ‘ice-9’ is unlikely to ever collide with anything else, so it’s
roughly equivalent to ‘guile’, just a little bit more obscure.  :-)

‘system’ may be more risky in that respect.  ‘guile’ would have been a
better choice, but I’m afraid it’s too late (in theory it isn’t,
but...).

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ludo’.