Re: two spaces after sentence + other doc janitorial duties

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: two spaces after sentence + other doc janitorial duties
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2010 15:23:26 +0200

Hi,

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> Heya,
>
> On Fri 25 Jun 2010 18:35, Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Normally, texinfo source should have two spaces after each sentence:
>>
>>    Blah the first. Blah more.      ;; only one space, not cool
>>    Blah the first.  Blah more.     ;; two spaces, ok
>
> Why is this the case? TeX itself gets this right, why can't makeinfo?

I’m not sure whether/how TeX gets it right.

Two spaces after a sentence is visually the closest thing to English
typography rules, which thereby distinguish end-of-sentence periods from
abbreviation periods, as mentioned in the Texinfo manual (info
"(texinfo) Ending a Sentence").  The GCS also recommends it (info
"(standards) Comments"), and Emacs’ M-e expects it too.

>>   commit 3323ec063ccc87b210e6da04c57c625af270b230
>>   Author: Neil Jerram <address@hidden>
>>   Date:   Sun Dec 27 23:24:09 2009 +0000
>>
>>       Automatic manual updates following libguile docstring changes
>>
>> and since then there have been many other manual updates.  So, should i
>> interpret the six months since that update to mean that we are no longer
>> using a docstring.el-based system?  Am i missing something?
>
> I don't really understand docstring.el. How should I use it? I have
> simply been copying changes over manually.

Same for me.  So I’m curious.  :-)

>> Other changes i have in mind:
>>
>>  - convert "..." to "@dots{}";
>>  - convert "i.e. FOO" to "i.e., FOO"
>>    (and likewise "i. e. FOO" and "e.g. FOO");
>
> Great.

+1

(Likewise, “e.g.” -> “e.g.,”.)

>>  - choose "Returns" or "Return" and use it everywhere;
>
> Sure.

“Return”, I think.

Thanks,
Ludo’.