Re: [Guile-commits] GNU Guile branch, master, updated. release_1-9-11-73

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [Guile-commits] GNU Guile branch, master, updated. release_1-9-11-73-gedb3cfc
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 23:08:03 +0200

Hi!

"Thien-Thi Nguyen" <address@hidden> writes:

> commit 0faca15c33cfbe1ef25fd6b4bbc7f92b57659345
> Author: Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden>
> Date:   Mon Jun 14 21:57:01 2010 +0200
>
>     Init shell var properly in git-version-gen.
>
>     * build-aux/git-version-gen: Ensure shell var
>     is not influenced by an env var of the same name.

This file is from Gnulib.  So get the patch accepted in Gnulib and it
will get in next time we update our Gnulib copy.

> -AC_CONFIG_FILES([test-suite/standalone/test-fast-slot-ref],
> -                [chmod +x test-suite/standalone/test-fast-slot-ref])
>  AC_CONFIG_FILES([doc/ref/effective-version.texi])
>
> +dnl We can get fancy with m4sugar (m4_foreach et al) later.
> +dnl NB: We don't jam everything into one GUILE_CONFIG_SCRIPT call
> +dnl since that expands "chmod +x LONG-LIST-OF-FILES" multiply.  --ttn
> +AC_DEFUN([GUILE_CONFIG_SCRIPT],[AC_CONFIG_FILES([$1],[chmod +x $1])])
> +
> +GUILE_CONFIG_SCRIPT([check-guile])
> +GUILE_CONFIG_SCRIPT([benchmark-guile])

OK.  How about moving the AC_DEFUN in ‘acinclude.m4’?

Also, the comment above should say what the macro does, rather than how
it could possibly do it in the future.

The ‘--ttn’ can also be omitted since we’d rather communicate by email
than via comments in ‘configure.ac’.  :-)

> address@hidden {Scheme Procedure} tmpfile
> address@hidden {C Function} scm_tmpfile
> +Return an input/output port to a unique temporary file
> +named using the path prefix @code{P_tmpdir} defined in
> address@hidden

I suggest adding this:

  (@pxref{Temporary Files,,, libc, The GNU C Library Reference Manual}).

> +The file is automatically deleted when the port is closed
> +or the program terminates.
> +
> +The name of the temporary file associated with the returned
> +port is not available to Scheme programs;
> address@hidden(port-filename (tmpfile))} always returns the
> +symbol @code{tmpfile}.

What about returning #f instead?  That would seem more consistent since
currently ‘port-filename’ can only return either #f or a string AFAIK.

> +SCM_DEFINE (scm_tmpfile, "tmpfile", 0, 0, 0,
> +            (void),
> +            "Return an input/output port to a unique temporary file\n"
> +            "named using the path prefix @code{P_tmpdir} defined in\n"
> +            "@file{stdio.h}.\n"
> +            "The file is automatically deleted when the port is closed\n"
> +            "or the program terminates.\n"
> +            "\n"
> +            "The name of the temporary file associated with the returned\n"
> +            "port is not available to Scheme programs;\n"
> +            "@code{(port-filename (tmpfile))} always returns the\n"
> +            "symbol @code{tmpfile}.")
> +#define FUNC_NAME s_scm_tmpfile
> +{
> +  FILE *rv;
> +
> +  if (! (rv = tmpfile ()))

Rather like this (info "(standards) Syntactic Conventions"):

  rv = tmpfile ();
  if (rv == NULL)

Modulo these comments, feel free to commit.  If you’re now confident
with rebase et al., you can commit to ‘master’.  Otherwise I can pick
them later from your branch and push them to ‘master’.

Thanks!

Ludo’.