Re: despair, debugging, and the repl

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: despair, debugging, and the repl
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 23:38:17 +0200

On Mon 14 Jun 2010 18:29, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

>> So, to that end, then, here's a preliminary plan of action:
>>
>>   * Deprecate all of the old repl code, keeping compatibility shims for
>>     the useful interfaces perhaps, but trying to move the REPL
>>     implementation entirely out to modules.
>>
>>   * Remove all of the old debugger code. This pains me somewhat, but we
>>     have to move forward here.
>>
>>   * Deprecate the-last-stack fluid -- besides being hard to reason
>>     about, it doesn't even work all that well.
>>
>>   * Document the new REPL.
>
> Fine with me (but maybe you’ve already finished it in the meantime).

No, there are still some repl bits of boot-9 that need limning. I
skipped over some parts when revising boot-9 recently, and hope to come
back to them soonish.

> What about single-stepping

Should be possible, given source line info and the next-instruction
hook.

> and expression-level debugging?

Trickier, we'll need expression-level debug info in the procedure. And
which expressions, the expanded ones or the ones from the original
source? I think I'd need to spend some times with other schemes to
figure this out.

Breakpoints would be good too.

Andy
--