Re: Lua

From: No Itisnt
Subject: Re: Lua
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2010 16:03:47 -0500

Hey, now would be a great time for a critique of my Lua project if you
are willing, so I can incorporate any criticisms or ideas you may have
before the GSOC midterm date. I'm closing in on finishing the base
language and I hope to complete it this week if time permits.

- I am using #nil for Lua's nil right now. Lua considers nil false for
the purpose of conditionals and it's also the value of unset variables
or table slots. Maybe it should be replaced with a gensym? I didn't
follow the Emacs nil thing very closely so I'm not sure whether that
approach might be problematic.

- Lua represents numbers as the C 'double' type by default -- what's
the best way to approximate that in Guile?

- How should I implement multiple return values? Lua allows multiple
variables to be assigned in a single statement, e.g. "a,b = c()", but
it's also permissive in that an assignment need not be balanced --
there can be extra variables on the left or expressions on the right.
So I think I need to be able to inspect the return value of function
calls somewhat at runtime. I was hoping for something elegant but
perhaps I will just return vectors and inspect the return values of
functions at runtime.

Thanks.