Re: fluids and unification

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: fluids and unification
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 15:13:19 +0200

Hi,

On Wed 26 May 2010 13:16, Stefan <address@hidden> writes:

> I've gone through the code for fluids to understand it. And how it relates to
> unification variables.
>
> Some facts for fluids:
> *     Allocation is slow, can be made faster but still it seams to be
> slow

Indeed; you don't want to be allocating new fluids during the course of
e.g. calling a function. You probably just want to use one fluid, and
have that fluid contain the set of already-seen patterns, or the current
unification state, or something...

> The current unification variables
> *     Allocation is stack-like, but the stack is separate.

For example, hold the stack pointer in the fluid.

> So, it would be cool to make fluids allocate faster

Tricky; I looked at this and it's hard, for various reasons. Better to
rearchitect and figure out how to use a small number of fluids instead.

> and also make unify variables be able to be shared between threads.

Really? Are you sure you want this? :)

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/