Re: Portability fixes for win32 cross compiling

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: Re: Portability fixes for win32 cross compiling
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 22:58:22 +0200

Mike Gran <address@hidden> schrieb:
> From: Volker Grabsch address@hidden
> > Is it really necessary to #include the
> > "uniconv.h" from the cross system and to provide corresponding
> > SCM_ICONVEH_* constants?
>
> Probably not.  I doubt that the libunistring constants are going
> to change upstream, so you could hack around it by hard-coding them.
> Simple, and possibly risky should libunistring decide to change them.

Since I'll probably support Guile in mingw-cross-env for a long
time, I'd like to find a solution that doesn't require such a
bad hack.

> Or, I suppose, we could write a function in strings.c to convert
> SCM_ICONVEH constants to libunistring constants.  That might be
> friendlier to your cross-build, but, that function would get called
> very often.  Might be a slight performance hit.

What about a read-only variable that is initialized on Guile
initialization or as an initialized constant?

Or, what about changing the generated code? Why does the generator
have to determine a number to be written into the generated code?
Instead, the generated "scmconfig.h" could contain code like this:

    #include <uniconv.h>

    #define SCM_ICONVEH_ERROR iconveh_error

Greets,

    Volker