Re: unification

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: unification
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:55:38 +0200

Hello!

stefan <address@hidden> writes:

> I did a small try to extend guile to handle unification. The result is in
>
> http:///c-lambda.se/gp.tar.gz
>
> In there is an example of a unification solution of the Einstein riddle.
> The solution takes 150ms on my PC. Gnu prolog execute it in about 16ms.
> I'm using a c-extension linked in which is a fun play with the tagging system
> in guile (ducks!)

I haven’t looked at the code but that sounds like an interesting and
useful project!

If I were you I would write the unification code in Scheme, at least as
a starting point, esp. since I would expect most optimizations to be
done at an algorithmic level.

Then you could implement the hot spots in C, if that turns out to be a
real advantage, or simply wait until Guile gets a native compilation
back-end, JIT, or both.  :-)

> By the way. I can help out as well. My main interest now is in type theory
> but
> I start to dig into guile now and I would probably be able to help out if you
> like in a short time, as my knowledge matures.
>
>  Are there any suitable tickets to close?

You could look at the bugs in
<http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=guile>, along with posts on
<address@hidden> left unanswered.  And of course, you could do
testing under all possible conditions, or look at the code and improve
the bits that please you.  :-)

Besides, there’s an informal to-do list in the minds of some of us for
2.0, and that list is getting small.

Thanks,
Ludo’.