Re: possible soc project: accessing git datastores from guile

From: Daniel Hackney
Subject: Re: possible soc project: accessing git datastores from guile
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 08:10:15 +0000 (UTC)

Andy Wingo <wingo <at> pobox.com> writes:
> That is why you should make a proposal to make a library for accessing
> Git datastores from Guile. Great idea, right? You probably had it too!

I'll have to say, this project looks really interesting, with the added caveat
that it is not quite as insane as "Emacs VS. Guile, round MMXCCIXXVII." I am
interested in doing this project, but I am working full-time, so I obviously
couldn't do it in the capacity of a GSoC student. I think it's cool, worthwhile,
and would be useful for Emacs once the latest (and hopefully last) Guile-Emacs
wars are done. It looks small enough that it could be done in the evenings,
around my regular work.

Basically, I'm saying that in the off chance that nobody else picks this project
up, I'd like to give it a go, but from a less-than-official GSoC role, since I
won't be able to commit that sort of time.

> The scope of the work would be to write the equivalent of Git's
> "plumbing" layer in Scheme. The first step would be to be able to git
> cat-file any object in the database. Then you would need to be able to
> insert into the database, via git-hash-object, and then to be able to
> update a ref with git-update-ref.

This reminded me of a similar project in PHP called "Glip" at
http://github.com/patrikf/glip. I peeked into it a bit, and it looks like the
basic Git data model is fairly straightforward. Whoever does end up doing this
would do well to take a look there and see what good ideas are worth stealing.

Anyway, this is something that caught my eye, so if it doesn't look like it's
going to get done otherwise, I can take a crack at this.

This is shaping up to be an exciting year for Guile!