Re: Merging R6RS libraries?

From: Julian Graham
Subject: Re: Merging R6RS libraries?
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 23:50:38 -0400

Hi Ludo,

I've got some status updates:

> As I said, there aren't that many libraries left to do.  Off the top
> of my head, the still-missing ones are (rnrs eval), (rnrs arithmetic
> fixnums), (rnrs arithmetic flonums), and the composite library, (rnrs
> rnrs).  I also want to move the library form definitions out of
> boot-9, as you suggested.

The above are done and pushed.

At the moment, though, there are some broken bits related to the
arithmetic libraries -- specifically, all of the procedures related to
R6RS `div' and `mod'.  They just weren't fully enough specified to
implement: R6RS-lib says they "implement number-theoretic integer
division" [0].  (The main R6RS spec says even less.)  I peeked at
PLT's implementation, which uses, I think, a stanard
"number-theoretic" division algorithm and tweaks it to match the
examples in R6RS-lib.  We could poach theirs or write our own, but I'm
not enough of a mathematician to know what the Right Thing to do here
is.

> Hmmm.  None that are so serious that they're currently blocking me --
> I've been developing and testing the libraries using the
> library/module integration, so I'm quite sensitive to problems when
> they arise.  :-)  At the moment, the only thing that's bugging me is
> an issue with tests that use syntax exported from libraries fail when
> run via 'make check' but pass when loaded from the REPL.

This also seems to be happening with plain old `make'.  I've been
trying to figure out what's different between running:

$ ./meta/uninstalled-env guile-tools compile module/6/rnrs.scm

...and executing

scheme@(guile-user)> (compile-file "module/6/rnrs.scm")

...from inside an instance of ./meta/guile (which works), but so far
I've come up empty.  This is pretty much the only thing I'd like to
fix before telling Andy to pull the merge trigger.  Any ideas?

Regards,
Julian

[0] -
http://www.r6rs.org/final/html/r6rs-lib/r6rs-lib-Z-H-1.html#node_toc_node_sec_11.2