Re: Guile extensions

From: 0wl
Subject: Re: Guile extensions
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 22:46:01 +0200

Hey,

In the name of the scheme underground crew http://www.ai.mit.edu/projects/su/su.html, I adapted the HTTP Monkey webserver (see freshmeat.net) with a (port 2003) metaserver.

You can send in full guile, scheme48, scheme interpreter executables with a loadfile (1 file full of server side code, See src/schemeclient.c and src/epoll.c (mk_epoll_add_meta_client
function).

I uploaded a tarball here of the full server: http://tullarisc.xtreemhost.com/monkey-0.10.0-mac.tgz

Love, tullarisc

2010/3/29 Andy Wingo <address@hidden>
Hey folks,

On Sun 28 Mar 2010 22:39, Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

> 0wl <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I was wondering if there's a place in guile for developing a graphical toolkit
>> for example like gnome's guile extensions.
>> Or for webserver scripting except CGI. The graphical toolkit has been done for
>> GNU smalltalk. In this way one could provide a
>> morphs environment for scheme and/or guile.
>
> It's not clear to me what you mean; can you explain more?

Perhaps 0wl means a GUI toolkit that is mostly written in Scheme,
instead of mostly a wrapper to libraries written in some other language.
That would allow the toolkit to be more Schemey. It could have a
"presentation layer" that renders to HTML/Js/websockets, to make an app
available over the web.

Is that it? There's certainly a place for that kind of experimentation
within the broader Guile project; probably not in the Guile repo itself,
but who knows?

> (I'm also not familiar with what you mean by "morphs".  I tried googling
> this, but the results didn't clearly indicate a single software idea.)

http://selflanguage.org/_static/tutorial/Tutorial/Morphic/Morphs/Morphs.html

"Widgets", in Self.

Andy
--