Re: Potential Lua implementation for Guile?

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Potential Lua implementation for Guile?
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 23:45:04 +0100

Hi!

Sorry for the delay in replying. I was fretting!

On Tue 09 Mar 2010 03:24, No Itisnt <address@hidden> writes:

> I want to apply for GSOC this year.

Fantastic!

See I actually looked at Lua when going to write a first second language
(?) for the VM, but decided on JS, thinking I couldn't do Lua well
enough. Then there have been these Lambda the Ultimate threads like
http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/3851 that made me think that if
Guile implements Lua, no matter who does it, we'll be stomped by Mike
Pall's LuaJIT!

And that's totally true, I think; I can't imagine ever being quite as
fast as what he does. Respect.

But, I do think Lua would be a useful language to have for application
extension by users. So this could be useful.

> Since Guile has recently obtained
> a compilation/language framework, I was thinking that an
> implementation of the Lua language for Guile, under the auspices of
> the GNU Project, would be a good fit.

So my grudging thought is, "OK". But if I could steer you to finish some
JS things or optimize some Elisp code or work on a Waddell-style inliner
or a Scheme native compiler, these are also interesting and useful
projects :-)

> Let me know what you think.

I think it could be a beautiful summer!

One thing I should mention up front though -- it sounds like you've got
the chops, but as summer approaches, it would be nice to start seeing
some code. The GNU project might not be accepted by the Evil
Empi^H^H^HGoogle this year. Guile might get no positions. Guile might
get two positions. Who knows? But if this is what you'd like to do this
summer, your case (and that of anyone else who's interested) will be
made stronger with plans and code.

Happy hacking!

Andy
--