Potential Lua implementation for Guile?

From: No Itisnt
Subject: Potential Lua implementation for Guile?
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 20:24:44 -0600

I want to apply for GSOC this year. Since Guile has recently obtained
a compilation/language framework, I was thinking that an
implementation of the Lua language for Guile, under the auspices of
the GNU Project, would be a good fit.

A little background on Lua: It has a reputation as an "extensible,
embeddable" programming language. It inherits a lot from Scheme,
including closures and tail call optimization, but unfortunately not
macros :( I would say it definitely meets the criteria of "ubiquitous
intelligent language for extension." It's probably the most popular
"extension language" out there. At maybe ~10000 lines of C code, it's
not an unreasonable summer project either.

Personally, I am interested in learning more about parsing and
compilation. I'd also like to brush up on my Scheme.

Moreover, I think the addition of Lua, similarly to Emacs Lisp, would
put Guile in a better position to subvert existing applications that
use Lua as their scripting language (a lot!).

Let me know what you think.