Plan for the next release

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Plan for the next release
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2010 15:45:29 +0100

Hello!

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> Regarding the release... I have no thoughts. Perhaps I should prepare
> the NEWS, and we get a release out the door this week, then the next one
> will have catch/throw nicely integrated, and at that point I'll be
> mostly happy for 2.0. Thoughts?

I think the main focus for the two months preceding 2.0 should be:

  0. Licensing and copyright (‘pmatch’, etc.). [*]

  1. Portability fixes.

  2. Backward-compatibility fixes.

  3. Documented anything new and undocumented.

  4. Bug hunting.

If you think catch/throw on delimited continuations may be ready in a
couple of weeks, and that it’s the last big feature you have in mind for
2.0, then that’s fine with me.  :-)  Otherwise, I’d be in favor of
delaying 2.0 as long as needed so we can work on the above points.

Note that I’m in favor of shorter release cycles, which means 2.2
shouldn’t be decades away from 2.0.  We could even create a 2.2 branch
one of these days for things we want to play with but that won’t be
ready for prime time until some time.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Ludo’.

[*] For obvious reasons, we shouldn’t be accepting any new code with
    unclear copyright/licensing status.  Likewise, to be on the safe
    side, code whose copyright is to be assigned to the FSF should not
    be committed it until the copyright assignment is actually on file.