Re: request tmpfile(3) wrapping in Guile 1.9 libguile

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: request tmpfile(3) wrapping in Guile 1.9 libguile
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 00:17:30 +0100

On Tue 09 Feb 2010 10:07, Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> writes:

> () Andy Wingo <address@hidden>
> () Mon, 08 Feb 2010 12:11:17 +0100
>
>    I think this sounds like a good idea. I have a few concerns, though if
>    none of them can be nicely addressed I'd still be happy adding tmpfile.
>
> I'm happy to see Ken Raeburn answer these concerns.  Personally, i find it
> very nice to have an anonymous seekable chunk of filesystem to play
> with.

Yes, I think that's probably the right answer.

> BTW (veering off-topic, but you started it!)... i dislike `mkstemp!'.
> Its safe use requires `string-copy'.  Why not have all that handled
> automatically, including the "XXXXXX" suffixing?  That's what i do
> in Guile 1.4.x `mkstemp' (note, no "!").

Yes, this sounds better than mkstemp!. Since you seem to have to code
already, can you submit two patches with mkstemp and tempfile,
respectively?

While we're here... Ludovic, Neil and I talked over mail about your
request to (re)join the Guile project, and we're very happy to have your
skills and energy. The one concern that we have is that you tend to be a
bit cavalier; so until we feel like we're on the same page, we would
like for you to refrain from committing to master or the 1.8 branch.

Instead, please feel free to (commit to | create) other branches in the
repository, preferably prefixing those branches with "wip-" if you
intend them to be rebased at some point. Please mail the list when you
would like for us to review and merge your patches into master or 1.8.

I recognize that it's a somewhat awkward situation, but we're so
unfamiliar with each other at this point that a slow rapprochement would
probably be best to avoid unexpected conflicts.

That said, welcome back to Guile!

Cheers,

Andy
--