Re: dynamic foreign function interface

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: Re: dynamic foreign function interface
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 21:39:02 +0000

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> Wow, ok. Well yes, we did always think this was going to happen... so
> all right. I'll see what it takes, and merge when ready.

FWIW, I'm really pleased to see this so soon.  I've been musing that an
FFI should allow us to co-opt all the binding libraries out there for
other scripting languages, notably Python.  (Of course, an FFI will also
allow us to use the underlying C library directly, but I would guess
that an existing language binding library might have more regular or
more introspectable function call signatures than the underlying
library, and so it would be easier to generate Scheme-level interfaces
automatically.)

Also note that if we had a Python (for example) translator, the FFI
would make the difference between only being able to execute pure Python
code (not using any binding libraries), and being able to execute _all_
Python code.

So, great news!

     Neil