Re: User perception on backward compatibility

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: User perception on backward compatibility
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 07:09:39 -0800 (PST)

> From: Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden>

> Hello!
>
> I think the next big task will be to list and try to reduce
> incompatibilities compared to 1.8.
>
> For the record, here’s what I found in GNU Dico; it’s interesting to see
> how its maintainer feels about backward compatibility in Guile:
>
>   http://mail.gnu.org.ua/archives/html/public/bug-dico/threads.html#00000

Guile's API has always fairly incompatibly from revision to
revision.  Each rev always requires a significant rewrite of the glue
code in Guile-using projects.

Just in the time that I've been using Guile, I've used four different
functions to convert an integer into a guile number: gh_int2scm,
SCM_MAKINUM, scm_int2num, scm_from_int.

A lot of projects have their own Guile compatibility layers to map
current practice to a consistent API: AutoGen, Geda, even Gucu.

Maybe we need a gnulib-like project for guile ;-)

So, yeah, reducing incompatibilities might be nice.

Thanks,
Mike