recent changes; release

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: recent changes; release
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 18:51:18 +0100

Hey all,

Just a summary of some recent changes, in git master...

 1. The repl's ,trace has been cleaned up. For example:

    scheme@(guile-user)> ,tr (fibo 4)
    (fibo 4)
    |(fibo 3)
    ||(fibo 2)
    ||1
    ||(fibo 1)
    ||1
    |2
    |(fibo 2)
    |1
    3

 2. The repl's ,profile can now do accurate call counting; use like this:

    scheme@(guile-user)> ,pr (fibo 20) #:count-calls? #t
    %     cumulative   self             self     total
    time   seconds    seconds  calls    ms/call  ms/call       name
    100.00      0.04      0.04   13529     0.00     0.00  fibo
    [...]
    ---
    Sample count: 4
    Total time: 0.04 seconds (0 seconds in GC)

    It still prints out all those other functions though. ,pr accepts
    all keyword arguments that the new function `statprof' does. Note
    that accurate call counting unfairly penalizes function calls.

 3. Guile now has a reader option, on by default, to treat [ and ] as
    equivalent to ( and ). Nested braces must be paired appropriately. I
    know, it is ugly; but I want to be able to run code written at other
    sites, and my opinion on its ugliness seems not to be universally
    held.

    I'm interested to see if this change actually affects anyone's code.
    In that case, do let us know, and:
      (eval-when (compile load eval) (read-disable 'square-brackets))

 4. A number of reported bugs have been fixed. If your bug has gone
    unfixed, besides Daniel's autocompilation issue, please re-ping the
    list.

The release will probably come out on Tuesday (the 19th).

Cheers,

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/