(no subject)

From: Neil Jerram
Subject: (no subject)
Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2009 20:58:16 -0000

>      should be OK.  However, I’m slightly concerned about MSVC’s
>      __declspec: does it work if it sees:
>
>        __declspec(dllexport) extern SCM foo (SCM);
>        extern SCM foo (SCM);

I don't know for sure, but I know I've seen "function redeclared with
different linkage" warnings in the past, and this could well be one of
the situations that generates such warnings.

But what about using SCM_API instead of extern?  Wouldn't that always
generate the right code?  (At least for building guile itself.)

>      If it works, that probably means this point is moot.
>
>   2. The automatically added ‘extern’ declaration makes
>      ‘-Wmissing-prototypes’ useless, which is annoying.

I guess it depends if the primitives in question are designed to be used
only from Scheme, or also from other C files.  If they're only for
Scheme, it's a nice feature that SCM_DEFINE does everything needed and
the developer doesn't need a matching prototype.  If they're for other C
files, the missing prototype warning could be helpful.

Then again, the developer will get some kind of warning anyway when
trying to use the function from another file.  So I think the balance is
in favour of SCM_DEFINE including the prototype.

   Neil