Re: A big hole where the evaluator used to be...

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: A big hole where the evaluator used to be...
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 23:56:08 +0100

Hi,

Neil Jerram <address@hidden> writes:

>> Another side of this is compile-time speed; psyntax-pp.scm takes forever
>> to compile now, like 4 or 8 minutes.
>
> And much longer than that (~30 mins?) on my ancient P3 laptop!  (But
> it's still worth it!)

I agree that it’s very slow (the total build time got 4x longer), but
there’s a positive way to look at it: if Guile needed an older version
of itself, or another Scheme to compile itself (as Larceny and SBCL do,
for instance), the whole compile cycle would take a lot of time too,
maybe even longer.  Worse is better!  :-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.