Re: [Guile-commits] GNU Guile branch, master, updated. release_1-9-5-104

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [Guile-commits] GNU Guile branch, master, updated. release_1-9-5-104-g8f79d4e
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 18:09:09 +0100

Hi Andy,

"Andy Wingo" <address@hidden> writes:

> commit 9ea31741dad29ae123e468a203b72df6d190f6e1
> Author: Andy Wingo <address@hidden>
> Date:   Sat Dec 5 10:52:18 2009 +0100
>
>     fluids are tc7 objects
>
>     If you're wondering what I'm doing, I'm trying to eventually reimplement
>     smobs in terms of structs, so that applicable smobs can just follow the
>     applicable struct dispatch path. But to do that I have to get structs
>     initialized before things that use smobs, which means transforming a
>     bunch of smobby things to tc7 things. But this transformation is good
>     for performance anyway, and we currently have a glut of unused tc7s,
>     so here we go...

I hadn’t seen this commit series until now but I like it!  :-)

I’ve always thought that smobs-as-structs would be a good thing, not
only to reduce code size and simplify procedure dispatch, but also to
remove arbitrary limits like on the number of smob types.

Keep up!

Thanks,
Ludo’, amazed by the pace at which things have been falling into place
over the last couple of weeks!