UTF-8 regression in guile 1.9.5

From: Linas Vepstas
Subject: UTF-8 regression in guile 1.9.5
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 12:43:03 -0600

Hi,

I seem to see either a regression in guile-1.9.5 with regard
to UTF-8 strings, or at least some sort of incompatible change.

In guile-1.8.6, I am able to do the following:

SCM new_node (SCM sname)
{
    char * cname = scm_to_locale_string(sname);
    printf ("The name is %s\n", cname);
    free (cname);
    return SCM_EOL;
}

scm_c_define_gsubr("new-node", 1, 0, 0, ss_name);

Then, from the guile prompt, I can evaluate the following:

   (new-node "てみました。")

and get the output "The name is てみました。"

However, in guile-1.9.5, the above gives me:

   "The name is てみましたã€"

Now, it is very possible that I've forgotten to say

  (use-modules some-new-utf8-module)

but I am unclear on what that module is (and why its not
specified by default).

In both cases, my shell has: LANG=en_US.UTF-8

--linas